SEARCH THIS BLOG




[ABOUT MASHA X GALILEO] What's in a name?

0 comments Post a Comment
Those who knows, know but those who doesn't, like myself, now we all know!

Ever wondered what is Yukawa sensei's Kanji name or rather how do you read those words in Chinese? Midori of MashaPlus Info Forums gave a heads up on this and I asked my sis who knows Chinese and she answered my question. Although my pronunciation is off, a bit, it is somewhat accurate HOWEVER, IF I AM WRONG, PLEASE DO TELL. I mean my Cantonese isn't first class. You will also find his real Kanji name after Read More link.

More after Read More link.


YUKAWA MANABU
First, let me post my favourite Yukawa sensei picture...






The problem with a Japanese name is I have no idea which is surname and which is the given name. General rule is like Chinese and Koreans, surname or family name comes first and then your given name. Such as Fukuyama (surname) Masaharu (given name).

So Yukawa (surname) Manabu (given name). His kanji name is ...

湯川學

Ok, that's when I was stuck. Which is which? I used an online translator and using the exact 3 words it came out as Manabu Yukawa. Now the translator automatically adopted a western approach in reading the name when individually, 湯川 is Yukawa and 學 is Manabu. I know, 學 one word is 3 syllable or whatever you call it?

Anyway, what it means individually?

hot water, bath, hot spring

stream, river



learning, knowledge, school

So how to you read his name in Mandarin?

湯 Tang (like soup)
川 Chuan (like Sichuan)
學 Xue (like school)

So he is Mr Tang Chuan or you may call him Ah Xue Ge.

What about in Cantonese?

湯 Tong (like soup)
川 Chuen (like Sichuan in Cantonese)
學 Hok (as in Jackie cheung, the singer or to learn)

So he is Mr Tong Chuen or as I shall call him, Ah Hok Gor.

Or quite simply, Yukawa sensei suits him just fine.

FUKUYAMA MASAHARU
In case you're wondering how to pronounce Masha's name in both dialects?

First, one of my most favourite picture of him ...








Let's see...

福山雅治

If you know what they mean individually and if you know Chinese but don't know how to read, you will know how to pronounce. Did some research...



blessing, fortune, luck, wealth


mountain


gracious, elegant, graceful, refined


reign, be at peace, calm down, subdue, quell, govt, cure, heal, rule, conserve

Cantonese ...

福 Fook (as in Blessing)
山 San (as in mountain) 
雅 Nga (I think it is the lower register sound, something like how you pronounce marble)
Tzi (as in Confucius' Tzi, I think, again a lower register sound)

Mandarin, a bit tricky since it ain't my dialect so do correct me if I am wrong ...

福 Fu (as in Blessing)
山 Shan (as in mountain)
雅 Yah (I think it is the lower register sound, something like how you pronounce marble)
治 Tzer (not entirely accurate but somewhere near that for the lack of better spelling)

How about Korean as in Hangul?

후쿠야마 Masaharu
마사하루 Fukuyama

It made no sense to me using online translator. Could be for pronunciation sake only and bears no meaning? Frankly I don't know. Do you?




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do bookmark this post as all replies will be posted in this same post. Rules of common courtesy and politeness applies.

You may now customise your comment and even post images! Here's how you do it;

FOR COLOURED FONT
Replace "color" with your choice of color. For example, "red", "blue", etc.

[co="color"]Your test here[/co]

FOR SCROLLING TEXT

[ma]Your text here[/ma]

FOR POSTING IMAGES
Please do not posts original huge sizes, thumbnails would be quite nice!

[im]Image URL Here[/im]

You can only see the results in the comments embedded in the post and not in the full blogger comment input page such as the one where you typed the comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



SUBSCRIBE TO FEED



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner









JOIN CONTACT LIST!

Sometimes I receive some media files or stuff about Masha that can't be publicly shared, but I can however share privately, such as concert clips, etc. I would love to share whatever I got with you, as a way of disseminating information of Masha to the masses. You probably have all that stuff if you're an experienced fan, but if you are new to Masha or does not know other experienced fans, you probably won't have most of what I can send to you. I don't send emails often, since frankly I don't get such stuff often but when I do, I will send the link if I am allowed to do so. So do join my contact list but be reminded, you're not allowed to repost/redistribute/reupload whatever I send you whether in whole or in part. Anyone interested, redirect them to my blog and ask them to join my contact list. But this is only open to those who will answer the questions in the form below accurately. If you're successful, you will receive quite a few emails since I group all links together into categorised documents. If you're not, I will email and inform why (probably answered some wrongly, such as title not in Romaji or wrong answer). Once you found the answer, please RESUBMIT THE FORM. If you did not receive my emails (whether the many materials or rejection email) within 3 days of joining, please do resend your request. Thanks for joining!



>> CLICK HERE TO GO TO JOIN CONTACT LIST FORM <<


COPYRIGHT & DISCLAIMER



I do not know Masha, nor am I affiliated with him, BROS or AMUSE. This is a private fan site built by a fan for fans of common interest. The graphics were adapted from various free usage vectors and cliparts found in the internet. All pictures are collected from various sources. All text are either by me and/or collected from various sites and forums. Any enquiry please see "CONTACT".
 
Best Blogger Tips