SEARCH THIS BLOG




[OPINION] Will the real Sakamoto Ryoma please stand up!

0 comments Post a Comment
Very exciting read, one by a psychiatrist and commentator Masaaki Noda debunking the legend of Ryoma. Some excerpts below where he talked about Ryoma-Den. I believe he is not one of the % in the ratings' number. For full article, click here. Please, don't throw your TV at him!

Q: What do you think of the NHK drama "Ryoma-den"?

A: Why does the program make him so popular with beautiful women everywhere he goes, such as Tosa (present-day Kochi Prefecture), Edo (Tokyo), Kyo (Kyoto) and Nagasaki, I find myself asking. I guess they do it to attract viewers.

Anyway, the show makes it look like it is based on Ryoma's achievements, but, actually, it is full of fictitious accounts. It is unacceptable.

Q: What do you mean?

A: Ryoma befriended Thomas Glover (1838-1911), a Scottish merchant living in Nagasaki, and bought a large volume of weapons from him. But in the drama, Ryoma repeatedly says Western powers are trying to colonize Japan and that is why he must overthrow the shogunate. But that doesn't make sense.

I asked a history expert I know whether there are any documents that show Ryoma had a sense of crisis, fearing for the possible colonization of Japan. The answer was no. If so, it means he is lying in the drama. The creator of the show is having Ryoma tell lies. Does NHK intend to send a kind of political message to the viewers through the program?

Q: But it is a drama. Aren't viewers aware that this is a fiction?

A: TV broadcasters should not be allowed to do anything they like in the dramas just because the stories are fictional accounts. Developments that largely deviate from historical facts and proven affairs must not be tolerated. In particular, moving images are stored in people's memories and have the power to stir emotions. A reporter of a local newspaper in Kochi told me that people there are showing a cool reaction to the NHK drama on grounds that it jars with historical facts.

Q: You also come from Kochi. Is it all right for you to say bad things about Ryoma?

A: I have never met anyone in Tosa to speak ill of Ryoma. Personally, I, too, do not think badly of him. There is no need to. All I want to say is I've had enough of others using Ryoma to suit themselves.

He made some good points on Iwasaki Yataro. I am however not sure how overblown is Ryoma's contribution. I agree on the militarism of Ryoma but I never did quite see it the way this interviewee did. On the lying Ryoma, well some people do have foresight even if the danger is not imminent. Like Winston Churchill warning Britain of the danger of Nazi Germany when it was still early and no one listened to him, at all. Same goes for Charlie Chaplin making a movie that shows what actually did happened in history thanks again to Nazi Germany. So frankly the drama is presenting a point of view that Ryoma believes the danger is imminent, the possibility is high. No documents doesn't mean it wasn't the way it was. Quite an interesting interview.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Do bookmark this post as all replies will be posted in this same post. Rules of common courtesy and politeness applies.

You may now customise your comment and even post images! Here's how you do it;

FOR COLOURED FONT
Replace "color" with your choice of color. For example, "red", "blue", etc.

[co="color"]Your test here[/co]

FOR SCROLLING TEXT

[ma]Your text here[/ma]

FOR POSTING IMAGES
Please do not posts original huge sizes, thumbnails would be quite nice!

[im]Image URL Here[/im]

You can only see the results in the comments embedded in the post and not in the full blogger comment input page such as the one where you typed the comments.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...



SUBSCRIBE TO FEED



Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner









JOIN CONTACT LIST!

Sometimes I receive some media files or stuff about Masha that can't be publicly shared, but I can however share privately, such as concert clips, etc. I would love to share whatever I got with you, as a way of disseminating information of Masha to the masses. You probably have all that stuff if you're an experienced fan, but if you are new to Masha or does not know other experienced fans, you probably won't have most of what I can send to you. I don't send emails often, since frankly I don't get such stuff often but when I do, I will send the link if I am allowed to do so. So do join my contact list but be reminded, you're not allowed to repost/redistribute/reupload whatever I send you whether in whole or in part. Anyone interested, redirect them to my blog and ask them to join my contact list. But this is only open to those who will answer the questions in the form below accurately. If you're successful, you will receive quite a few emails since I group all links together into categorised documents. If you're not, I will email and inform why (probably answered some wrongly, such as title not in Romaji or wrong answer). Once you found the answer, please RESUBMIT THE FORM. If you did not receive my emails (whether the many materials or rejection email) within 3 days of joining, please do resend your request. Thanks for joining!



>> CLICK HERE TO GO TO JOIN CONTACT LIST FORM <<


COPYRIGHT & DISCLAIMER



I do not know Masha, nor am I affiliated with him, BROS or AMUSE. This is a private fan site built by a fan for fans of common interest. The graphics were adapted from various free usage vectors and cliparts found in the internet. All pictures are collected from various sources. All text are either by me and/or collected from various sites and forums. Any enquiry please see "CONTACT".
 
Best Blogger Tips